Can't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsCan't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsThe miners were attacked while working in the far-flung district of Yahukimo, Papua Pegunungan province on Wednesday, military spokesman Lt. Col. Wirya Arthadiguna said in a statement.
eparatists in eastern Papua region have shot and killed eight gold miners they claimed were undercover members of the security forces, the military said Thursday.
The miners were attacked while working in the far-flung district of Yahukimo, Papua Pegunungan province on Wednesday, military spokesman Lt. Col. Wirya Arthadiguna said in a statement.
The victims, he said, were "civilians panning for gold in the area".
The West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB), however, said it had carried out a successful "cleansing operation" against "soldiers/police officers disguised as illegal gold miners".
TPNPB spokesman Sebby Sambom said the operation was in retaliation for the deaths of two of its members at the hands of the military in Yahukimo last week.
Wirya said the military has deployed teams to track down the shooters and evacuate the victims' bodies by helicopter.
He denied the rebels' claim that they were security officers, and said authorities are on the hunt for the perpetrators. After the attacks, Yahukimo was dangerous but under control, he added.
Security in the area will be stepped up, he added.
Papua, which shares an island with Papua New Guinea, is a former Dutch colony that declared independence in 1961.
Last year, separatists killed at least 11 gold miners in Yahukimo, according to the military, in another case in which the targets were accused of being undercover soldiers.
In 2022, 10 civilians were shot dead in a rebel ambush, and eight telecoms workers were killed in another attack in what the guerrillas said was a war zone.
The National Commission on Human Rights is investigating the killing of more than a dozen civilians, including women and children, in a military operation in the Papuan village of Kembru in April.
The military claimed it had taken out rebel fighters.
Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.
Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!
Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.