TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

KPK names former regent suspect; estimated state losses Rp 2.7t

  • Kharishar Kahfi

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Tue, October 3, 2017   /   08:54 pm
KPK names former regent suspect; estimated state losses Rp 2.7t Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) head Agus Rahardjo (right) and his deputy Saut Situmorang (left) attend a hearing held by House of Representatives’ Commission III on legal affairs on Sept. 11. The hearing was aimed at getting updates on the KPK’s performance. (Antara/Puspa Perwitasari)

The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) has uncovered one of the biggest corruption cases in the the anti-graft body's history.

The KPK has named Aswad Sulaiman, a former North Konawe regent in Southeast Sulawesi, a suspect for allegedly abusing his power as regent to issue “unlawful” mining permits in the regency between 2007 and 2014.

“The total estimated state losses reach Rp 2.7 trillion [US$200 million] from the sale of nickel produced by miners that earned their permits illegally,” KPK deputy chairman Saut Situmorang told a press conference on Tuesday.

Former North Konawe regent Aswad Sulaeman.Former North Konawe regent Aswad Sulaeman. (Antara/File)

Saut confirmed that the case was one of the biggest ever handled by the KPK. By comparison, the high-profile e-ID case involves estimated state losses of Rp 2.3 trillion while the BLBI (Bank Indonesia liquidity support) case allegedly caused Rp 3.7 trillion in losses.

Aswad was a Democratic Party politician when he became the regent from 2011 to 2016.

He was appointed the caretaker regent when the regency was established in 2007.

Read also: Beleaguered KPK refuses to give up on Setya Novanto

The KPK has accused him of receiving bribes from eight mining companies.

“The suspect allegedly revoked a mining concession of PT Antam in Langgikima and Molawe districts arbitrarily. Previously, he had allegedly issued 30 mining concessions [in the areas] while Antam’s concession was still valid,” Saut said. (bbs)