TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Fireworks factory raided in Tangerang

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Wed, November 1, 2017   /   04:40 pm
Fireworks factory raided in Tangerang An aerial view shows the destruction to a fireworks factory in Kosambi, Tangerang. (Warta Kota/Alex Suban)

A community unit (RW) head identified as Ade Muhtar has been detained by police for allegedly operating an illegal fireworks factory in Cijantra village, Pagedangan, Tangerang.

Joint personnel raided the factory on Tuesday at 10 a.m. after receiving reports from nearby residents, according to a statement by Tangerang Police crimes unit chief Adj. Comr. Alexander Yurikho.

"The workers had left the place when we arrived at the factory. But one of them, Ade Muhtar, was [spotted] around the location, which then, along with evidence, was taken to Pagedangan Police station for further investigation," Alexander said.

In the raid, police confiscated more than 25 packages of fireworks of varying sizes, as well as materials to make the fireworks, such as 10 kilograms of sulfur and 2 kg of potassium.

Police alleged the fireworks were made by hand as they found four rubber-layered hammers and four firework molds.

Alexander said his team had secured the factory and were still looking for three other workers.

Last week, Tangerang was rocked by a blaze at a fireworks factory operated by PT Panca Buana Cahaya Sukses in Kosambi that killed 49 of its 103 workers and injured dozens others. (yon)