The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration has decided to postpone the plan to renovate 12 pedestrian bridges along Jl. Sudirman and Jl. MH Thamrin in Central Jakarta, an official has said.
The administration revealed in May the planned Rp 56 billion (US$3.9 million) budget for the renovation of three of the 12 bridges. It was reported that the administration had allocated Rp 17.4 billion for Ratu Plaza pedestrian bridge, Rp 18.5 billion for Gelora Bung Karno bridge and Rp 19.3 billion for the Jakarta Police headquarters bridge.
"We want the bridges to ensure interconnectivity between buildings," Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno said as quoted by kompas.com on Tuesday.
The decision to postpone the plan was taken “after considering that there were many options to cater to pedestrians' needs in crossing roads,” Sandiaga said, adding that one option was a pelican crossing as installed near the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle, after a pedestrian bridge there was dismantled on July 31.
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan decided to dismantle the bridge because it blocked the view of the Welcome Monument.
The bridge had been renovated during the administration of former governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, who declared it the standard for pedestrian bridges across the city. (vla)