TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Gerindra cadres forbidden to clash over Jakarta deputy governor candidacy

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Mon, August 27, 2018   /   03:40 pm
Gerindra cadres forbidden to clash over Jakarta deputy governor candidacy Jakarta Deputy Governor Sandiaga Uno (left) submits his resignation letter to Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan on Aug. 10. Sandiaga has decided to run for vice president in the 2019 presidential election, pairing with Gerindra Party leader Prabowo Subianto. (Antara/Galih Pradipta)

The Gerindra Party has instructed its cadres not to get involved in disputes over the Jakarta deputy governor position. Anyone publicly clashing on the matter will face sanctions, an official has said.

Gerindra deputy chairman Sufmi Dasco Ahmad said on Monday that any heated remarks would only stir tensions between the party and its coalition partner, the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS).

Both Gerindra and the PKS backed Anies Baswedan and Sandiaga Uno during Jakarta gubernatorial election last year.

“If [any party member] makes a comment that could destabilize current conditions, we will sanction them,” Dasco said as quoted by kompas.com on Monday.

Dasco asked Gerindra politicians to patiently wait for chairman Prabowo Subianto to announce a candidate to replace Sandiaga Uno, who resigned as Jakarta deputy governor to run as Prabowo’s vice-presidential candidate in next year’s election.

Gerindra and the PKS have publicly debated over who would fill the deputy governor position.

On Aug. 10, an agreement letter between Gerindra and the PKS was issued, stating that that the position would be given to a PKS cadre. The letter was signed by the head of Gerindra’s Jakarta chapter, Mohamad Taufik. However, Taufik later stated that the letter was not valid. (gis)