The Jakarta Post
The Maluku administration is set to tighten all entry points to the province after announcing on Sunday its first confirmed COVID-19 case, a resident who had moved from Bekasi, West Java, to the city of Ambon.
According to the head of the province’s COVID-19 response team, Kasrul Selang, the Maluku administration was working closely with a number of agencies to coordinate the various steps needed for the stringent measure.
“With the discovery of a positive [COVID-19] case in Maluku, we will step up efforts to tighten controls at points of entry such as airports and ports,” Kasrul said in a press conference at the Maluku governor’s office in Ambon on Sunday afternoon.
Kasrul said the infected patient had been placed under surveillance at Dr. Haulussy General Hospital in Ambon since arriving from Bekasi. His condition had been improving before he tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
“The test results of the samples we sent [on Saturday] to the Health Ministry's research and development center have returned and one sample was confirmed positive for [COVID-19] while the other one tested negative,” he said.
Kasrul added that the patient had been isolated and was currently in intensive care.
Maluku has placed 53 people under monitoring for COVID-19, consisting of 26 people from Tanimbar Islands, six from Ambon, three from West Seram, 10 from Buru, two from Tual and six from Aru Islands.
The numbers have increased sharply upon the return of residents who had visited other regions, especially in Tanimbar Islands, which previously had only one person under monitoring.
Kasrul said Maluku residents were advised to remain calm in responding to the positive COVID-19 case and continue to take proper preventive measures while monitoring directions from the government and the authorities.
“We should remain cautious and vigilant.” (syk)