TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

COVID-19: Jakarta extends PSBB through Ramadan

  • Moch. Fiqih Prawira Adjie

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Wed, April 22, 2020   /   09:25 pm
COVID-19: Jakarta extends PSBB through Ramadan Jakarta Public Order Agency (Satpol PP) officers disperse motorcycle taxi drivers waiting for passengers on Jl. Prof. Dr. Satrio in Jakarta on Monday. Under the large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) public gatherings are prohibited. (Antara/Reno Esnir)

The Jakarta administration announced on Wednesday that the large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) will be extended until May 22 as the COVID-19 outbreak has yet to subside.

Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan made the decision to extend the restrictions – initially slated to end Thursday – for another 28 days after consulting with health experts and the Jakarta Health Agency.

“The key to implementing PSBB measures is for all parties to be disciplined,” Anies said during a press briefing at City Hall on Wednesday.

“If we are disciplined, stay at home and reduce our activities outside, Insya Allah [God willing] this outbreak will be overcome soon.”

The governor also urged Muslims to conduct religious rituals during Ramadan, such as tarawih (evening prayers), at home with their families rather than in congregations. He also urged Jakartans not not to participate in the Idul Fitri mudik (exodus) in compliance with the government’s recent ban.

Read also: Coronavirus outbreak may end in June with 'mudik' ban: IDI

This year, Ramadan will last from Friday until May 24.

Anyone found violating the PSBB measures, such as individuals participating in public gatherings and offices of nonessential companies remaining open, will be punished to educate the public, Anies went on to say.

Under the PSBB regulations, all workplaces, except those in essential sectors such as the financial, fuel, food, medicine, retail, water, communications and logistic sectors, must remain closed and implement work-from-home policies.

Nonessential workplaces found operating during the PSBB period will be sealed up, while their business licenses will be revoked if they continue to violate the restrictions.

“The provincial administration and the Industry Ministry are reviewing the businesses that previously received permits to continue operating during the PSBB period. If we find that they are not in an essential sector, [the administration] will ask the ministry to review their permits,” Anies said.

Read also: Indonesia to evaluate partial lockdown as companies, factories continue business as usual

The Jakarta administration will continue to distribute social aid to around eligible 1.2 million families including packages of staple food, cloth masks and soap worth around Rp 150,000 (US$9.63).

Anies added that the administration would update its data on the social aid beneficiaries, as many people were continuing to lose their jobs due to the crisis. The updated data and distribution map will be able to the public at corona.jakarta.go.id.

Jakarta, the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak in the country, had recorded 3,383 cases with 301 fatalities and 322 recoveries as of Wednesday. Nationwide, 7,418 cases have been recorded with 635 fatalities.

While the number of confirmed cases is continuing to increase, Anies said fewer bodies had been buried according to COVID-19 protocol following the implementation of PSBB measures.