Can't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsCan't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsWhile putting its best efforts into securing peace in Gaza, President Prabowo Subianto said Indonesia would always be cautious, especially in deploying its troops on the Board of Peace’s peacekeeping mission in the territory.
President Prabowo Subianto (center) sits next to Kazakhstan's President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev (right) and Deputy Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan (left) during the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace at the Donald J. Trump Institute of Peace in Washington, DC on Feb. 19, 2026. Assembled to raise money for the rebuilding and stabilization of Gaza, Trump's Board of Peace was formally established on the sidelines of World Economic Forum in January. (AFP/Getty Images/Chip Somodevilla)
ndonesia pledged to support the peace process in Gaza through the United States-led Board of Peace during its inaugural meeting on Thursday, reaffirming its engagement in the territory’s post-war framework as it takes on the deputy commander role in the board’s peacekeeping mission.
Addressing a high-level session during the meeting in Washington, DC, on Thursday local time, Prabowo said Indonesia had “completely” supported US President Donald Trump’s 20-point plan for Gaza from its outset last year.
“We are committed to [the plan’s] success. We know there will be a lot of obstacles, [...] but we are very optimistic with the leadership of President Trump. There will be problems, but we will prevail,” Prabowo told the room of representatives from nearly 50 member and observer states.
The President added that Indonesia’s commitment would also take the form of a deployment of at least 8,000 Indonesian Military (TNI) personnel to take part in the International Stabilization Force (ISF) “to make this peace work”.
Focusing on security arrangements to enable a transitional government in the territory, the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire gained renewed momentum this week, with Thursday’s meeting seeing financing pledges from Board of Peace state members.
The talk also outlined how the ISF, the board’s peacekeeping mission, is set to deploy in the coming months.
Indonesia first announced its pledge to contribute troops to the ISF during Prabowo’s speech at the United Nations General Assembly in September 2025. The President initially committed to send at least 20,000 personnel, but the figure has been revised to between 5,000 and 8,000 following further negotiations and deliberations among officials in Jakarta.
Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.
Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!
Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.