An equivocal diplomacy on the doorstep
Former Australian ambassador to Indonesia
PREMIUM Recently in Jakarta I was asked to compare Australia’s relationship with Indonesia today with that under the New Order. During the New Order, our problems derived mostly from former East Timor and from the different backgrounds of our countries. Our leaders generally tried to steady the relationship, and Keating and Soeharto sought to strengthen it. But Australians saw Indonesia as militaris...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.
You might also like :
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Women accuse famous Brazil spiritual 'healer' of sex abuse
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s
- Why do we feel sleepy after eating a meal?