Recommendation for 1965 purge to be submitted to President
The Jakarta Post
A recommendation to resolve the 1965 communist purge has been prepared and is ready to be submitted to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.
“I have met Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Wiranto. At the ministerial level, the document has been completed. The minister will submit it to the President,” National Resilience Institute Governor Agus Widjojo said as reported by kompas.com on Saturday.
In April, the government sponsored a two-day symposium in which the organizers invited various parties to tell their versions of the 1965 tragedy, which was marked by the killing of at least 500,000 members of the Indonesian Communist Party (PKI) as well as sympathizers and supporters.
The organizing committee of the event, headed by Agus, invited various parties who were involved in the tragedy. But a number of retired generals later organized a counter symposium, the participants of which were mostly former military personnel.
“The President will ask for a second opinion from presidential staff members. But the main opinion will come from Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Wiranto and other ministers. Just wait, the result will be good,” said Agus.
Meanwhile, Wiranto declined to comment on the recommendation and on whether a judicial or non-judicial solution would be approved. “In short, there has been good progress and one stance,” he added. (bbn)
You might also like :
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official