Anies, Ahok to face off in second round: KPU Jakarta
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta gubernatorial election will go to a second round, final vote recapitulation results show.
With 100 percent of the ballots from the Feb. 15 election counted, the results show incumbent Jakarta gubernatorial candidate pair Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama-Djarot Saiful Hidayat won 2,364,577 votes or 43 percent of the total vote. Meanwhile, the pair’s main rival, Anies Baswedan, who ran with businessman Sandiaga Uno, garnered 2,197,333 votes or 39.95 percent.
Candidate pair Agus Harimurti-Sylviana Murni was far left behind, obtaining only 937,955 votes or 17.05 percent.
Ahok needed to win 50 percent plus one vote to avoid a run-off, which is scheduled for April 19.
“We have validated the results and hereby announce that Jakarta will have a second round,” KPU Jakarta chairman Sumarno said after the vote recapitulation plenary meeting ended late Sunday.
(Read also: KPU Jakarta kicks off final vote recapitulation)
The KPU Jakarta said 5,499,865 votes were valid while 64,448 others were invalid.
Sumarno said Jakarta saw a bigger voter turnout than for previous elections, standing at 75.75 percent. “In the 2007 Jakarta election, voter turnout was only 65 percent, which increased to 68 percent in 2012. Now, it has increased to more than 75 percent,” Sumarno said.
The three candidate pairs have accepted the recapitulation results, which will be officially announced by the KPU Jakarta on March 1 to 3. (ebf)
You might also like :
- OK Otrip opposed by minivan operators
- Sandiaga admits allowing ‘becak’ a political contract
- Men treated as dogs and pigs in Paris catwalk shows
- Woody Allen backlash grows as daughter says telling 'truth'
- New Air Force chief to prioritize procurement of jet fighters
- Lazada to implement e-payment gateway system this year
- Jokowi inaugurates new Cabinet ministers
- Celine Dion's Jakarta concert ticket price reaches Rp 25m
- PGN to acquire Pertagas in cash scheme
- AirAsia to move international flight operations to Soekarno-Hatta Terminal 3