TNI will be involved in securing energy exploration, exploitation
The Jakarta Post
Indonesian Military (TNI) commander Gen. Gatot Nurmantyo and Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Ignasius Jonan signed on Friday a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on a cooperation between the two institutions on security precautions for natural resource exploration activities in the country.
Jonan said the TNI would secure all exploration and exploitation activities conducted by the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry.
“We first signed an MoU that will be later materialized in the form of an agreement. This partnership is to secure vital objects, especially in oil and gas upstream exploration and exploitation activities, and in electricity and fuel installations,” the minister said as quoted by kompas.com during a press conference after the MoU signing ceremony at TNI headquarters in Cilangkap, East Jakarta.
Jonan further said the cooperation was part of a wider effort to ensure all oil and gas exploration and exploitation activities in Indonesia remained secure.
Gatot said the TNI would provide security on land and sea.
Exploitation points managed by the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry often faced interference from third parties.
“Ministry research has revealed that [off shore drilling] activities have often been disturbed by foreign-flagged vessels. To secure them, Indonesian Navy personnel will be deployed to provide security,” Gatot said.
He further said that the TNI would also monitor the implementation of the government’s one-fuel-price policy across Indonesia, especially in remote areas. (yon/ebf)
- Uber, Grab to adjust with new decree
- Several Ukrainians among 18 dead in Taliban attack on Kabul hotel
- Indonesia expects to pass data protection bill in 2018
- BI investigates use of bitcoin in Bali
- Ed Sheeran announces engagement
- Fashion brand celebrates third anniversary by cleaning Baduy tribal areas
- Sundance debuts dark tale of triplets split at birth
- President Jokowi purchases custom motorcycle, boosts local businesses
- Danny McBride to play Crocodile Dundee's son in new movie
- Man shot dead in night club's parking lot in Bogor