SBY no show during state address, again
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani
The Jakarta Post
Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono was the only living former president not to show up at the House of Representatives on Wednesday as President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo addressed the nation.
Former country leaders Megawati Soekarnoputri and BJ Habibie attended the annual meeting, while late president Abdurrahman "Gus Dur" Wahid was represented by his wife Sinta Nuriyah.
Ever since Yudhoyono handed the office to Jokowi in 2014, after 10 years in power, he has not attended the annual state of the nation address.
The House secretariat general claimed to have already invited all former leaders, including Yudhoyono who is a patron of the opposition Democratic Party.
Democratic Party lawmakers attending the event refused to comment on Yudhoyono's absence.
Last year, Yudhoyono preferred to spend his time in his hometown in Pacitan, East Java, instead of attending the state of the nation address.
Yudhoyono is known to have avoided sharing the same stage in public with Megawati, who is also the chairwoman of the ruling Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), after ties between the two went sour after Yudhoyono decided to resign as one of her ministers to run in the 2004 presidential race, in which he defeated Megawati.
On Tuesday, Yudhoyono and Megawati were scheduled to speak at a discussion held by the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI), however he arrived right after Megawati had already left. (ipa)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world