Police arrest woman accused of spreading Setya's hospital photo
The Jakarta Post
Police have arrested a woman suspected of distributing online content deemed defamatory to House of Representatives Speaker and Golkar chairman Setya Novanto.
Head of the Jakarta Police’s cybercrime division, Sr. Comr. Asep Safrudin, said that the suspect, identified as 29-year-old Dyann Kemala Arrizqi, had been charged under the Information Technology Law (ITE) law.
"She is currently being questioned. So far, she said that she had been playing around when uploading the photo on social media," Asep said as quoted by kompas.com.
Read also: Politics hinders graft fight
In early October, a photo of Setya lying on a hospital bed began circulating online and soon went viral on social media, with creative meme makers quick to add deriding captions.
Netizens also pointed to a number of oddities in how Setya had posed for the shot.
This photograph of House of Representatives Speaker and Golkar Party chairman Setya Novanto receiving intensive care at Jatinegara Premier Hospital drew widespread criticism that he had posed for the shot, and inspired a slew of satirical memes. (Twitter/Twitter)
Many focused on the electrocardiogram machine in the left-hand corner of the photo. The device measures a patient’s heart beat, but the one in the picture revealed a flatline — which indicates the patient is already dead.
Setya's lawyers filed a complaint against Dyann to the Jakarta Police on Oct. 10, claiming that she had distributed defamatory materials online.
On Wednesday, the Indonesian Solidarity Party (PSI) issued a statement that Dyann was one of its members, who was based in Tangerang, Banten.
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?