Man, transgender person nabbed in Aceh for allegedly having sex
The Jakarta Post
A man identified as N and a transgender person identified as M were arrested for allegedly being intimate in a beauty salon in Emperum, Banda Aceh.
They allegedly had sex, which is a crime punishable by up to 100 lashes according to local sharia law.
On Wednesday, Evendi A Latif -- the chief of the Public Order Agency’s sharia division -- said local residents broke into the salon and dragged the two to a nearby police station. Local sharia police are investigating the case.
“According to witness testimonies, N allegedly paid M Rp 100,000 (US$ 7.28) for a date,” Evendi said.
He added that N and M denied the allegation during questioning.
“Residents said the salon often served as a same-sex dating site. It caused unrest in the neighborhood,” Evendi said.
N and M faces charges under Article 26 of Qanun Jinayat (Aceh sharia law), which carries a punishment of 100 lashes. (gis)
- Australian arrested for alleged street assault
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu