Monas visitors surge during Idul Fitri
The Jakarta Post
The National Monument (Monas) in Central Jakarta was swamped with tourists on Saturday, one day after Idul Fitri.
Some tourists were unable to take the elevator up to the monument's observation deck since the 2,200 visitor limit had been reached.
"There was already a long line at 7 a.m., and the 2,200 person limit for the observation deck filled an hour ago," an officer working at the monument said as quoted by kompas.com on Saturday.
Monas staff will only extend the visitor limit for the observation deck by 500 people at 6:30 p.m.
The 2,200 tickets for the monument's observation deck were sold out in two hours to enthusiastic tourists visiting Jakarta for the Idul Fitri holiday. The monument's observation deck opened at 8 a.m., while the tickets were completely sold out by around 10 a.m.
Visitors who missed out on the observation deck chose to enjoy the museum located on the monument's lower levels, while others decided to have picnics in the monument's spacious park. (rfa)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump
- Cutting out rice not enough: More lifestyle changes needed to prevent diabetes
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements