Monas visitors surge during Idul Fitri
The Jakarta Post
The National Monument (Monas) in Central Jakarta was swamped with tourists on Saturday, one day after Idul Fitri.
Some tourists were unable to take the elevator up to the monument's observation deck since the 2,200 visitor limit had been reached.
"There was already a long line at 7 a.m., and the 2,200 person limit for the observation deck filled an hour ago," an officer working at the monument said as quoted by kompas.com on Saturday.
Monas staff will only extend the visitor limit for the observation deck by 500 people at 6:30 p.m.
The 2,200 tickets for the monument's observation deck were sold out in two hours to enthusiastic tourists visiting Jakarta for the Idul Fitri holiday. The monument's observation deck opened at 8 a.m., while the tickets were completely sold out by around 10 a.m.
Visitors who missed out on the observation deck chose to enjoy the museum located on the monument's lower levels, while others decided to have picnics in the monument's spacious park. (rfa)
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court