Seven Jakarta tollgates to be closed during Asian Games
The Jakarta Post
Jakarta traffic authorities have decided that seven tollgates will be closed during the 2018 Asian Games. The decision was made after assessing a traffic simulation involving the closure of 19 tollgates on Tuesday.
“We are studying the factors, such as effectiveness on the toll roads, conditions outside the tolls and effects of the gates’ closures. We will still close these seven gates,” Jakarta Police traffic director Sr. Comr. Yusuf said on Wednesday, kompas.com reported.
The tollgates are set to be closed while athletes, officials and media leave the athletes village for the Asian Games venues and vice versa.
The tollgates that will remain closed from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. are: Angke 2, Tanjung Duren, Slipi 2 and Taman Mini 1.
Those that will remain closed from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m are: Angke 1, Slipi 1 and Taman Mini 2.
Jakarta has implemented traffic simulations and additional policies, including the tollgate closures and extension of the odd-even license plate policy, to improve traffic during the Games.
Verri, a motorist who originally wanted to pass through the Tanjung Duren tollgate in West Jakarta, said he was fined since he had driven his even-numbered car on the odd-even route Jl. S. Parman, West Jakarta, on an odd date. The closure was done at the expense of the citizens' convenience, he added.
"I know of the odd-even policy. What I did not know was the tollgate closure," he said. (ami/rfa)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world