Minister grants awards to Garuda Indonesia flight attendants Vera and Ninik
The Jakarta Post
Two Garuda Indonesia flight attendants, Vera and Ninik Septinawati, have received awards from Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi for taking the initiative to help an elderly passenger get off the plane on a Kuala Lumpur-Jakarta flight on Saturday.
“Their spontaneity in helping passengers who are in need of help is very important in the transportation sector,” Budi said as quoted on the Transportation Ministry’s official Twitter account.
Such recognition is given to transportation providers who offer excellent service. Similar awards were given to Aviation Security teams at airports for their efforts in preventing drug smuggling.
“Please always continue to serve with [your] heart,” Budi wrote on his Twitter account in regards to Vera.
(Read also: 20 safest airlines for 2017 revealed)
The photo of Vera, a junior flight attendant on the GA-821 flight, carrying an elderly passenger on her back, barefooted, went viral following tweeter Farchan Noor Rachman’s post on Saturday.
The caption reads: “This GA-821 @IndonesiaGaruda flight attendant is awesome. [Her action is] touching. I'm speechless.”
According to tempo.co, the national flag carrier's VP corporate communications head Benny S. Butarbutar said the event happened after the plane landed at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport on Saturday afternoon.
Vera approached the elderly passenger, who was accompanied by a family member and remained in her seat even though the other passengers had left the plane. The elderly woman who was part of an umrah entourage.
As the wheelchair to assist the lady did not arrive, Vera and flight service manager Ninik Septinawati offered to help her. Vera then took the initiative to carry the passenger on her back from the rear seat to the exit door. The awaited wheelchair arrived not too long after Vera had carried the passenger, Benny explained.
Many Indonesian netizens have praised Vera’s action.
(Read also: Top tips for flying with children)
You might also like :
- Teary Veronica reads Ahok letter on reasons for appeal withdrawal
- Widespread hotspots mark the start of dry season: BMKG
- RI seeks release of patrol crew member held hostage in Vietnam via diplomacy
- EDITORIAL: Well-deserved rating upgrade
- Raid on suspected gay sex party based on law: Police
- Djarot wants dedicated sites for hawkers
- Golkar must support KPK: Ethics board
- Two suspects of UII hazing surrender
- Toshiba turns to enterprises to boost laptop sales
- Golkar Party should start selecting VP candidates: Aburizal