The Obliteration Room, part of the Yayoi Kusama's solo exhibition held at Jakarta's Museum Macan in May to Sept. 2018. (JP/Liza Yosephine)
Editors at city and travel guide Time Out have released a “Do List” of the top 50 experiences around the world right now which includes an art expo in Tokyo filled with glow-in-the-dark polka dot pumpkins, a den of hedonism in New York, and an egg-shaped sauna in Swedish backcountry.
Topping the charts is the Yayoi Kusama Museum in Tokyo, a tribute to the renowned contemporary Japanese artist of the same name best known for her use of polka dots, net and motif repetition.
Opened last year, the museum immerses visitors into the visionary world of the artist, with infinity mirrors, glowing polka dot pumpkins and hypnotic, kaleidoscopic motifs.
Or, as Time Out editors call it, “Instagram heaven.” The finalists were whittled down from a list of 5,000 possible experiences in 400 destinations, curated by Time Out‘s network of contributors and editors, and via a survey of 15,000 urbanite readers around the world.
Experiences and activities that made the final cut were judged on factors like uniqueness, authenticity, timeliness, place, audacity and “sheer cultural brilliance”.
Rounding out the top three spots is the House of Yes in New York, described as a place that celebrates sexual freedom where “you can fly your freak flag” and the Sweden’s Solar Egg, an otherworldly golden, mirrored egg-shaped sauna set in one of the northern-most cities in the country, Kiruna.
Read also: Jakarta bids farewell to Yayoi Kusama’s dots
Here are the top 10 travel and cultural experiences to be had around the world, right now, according to Time Out:
1. Yayoi Kusama Museum, Tokyo, Japan
2. House of Yes, New York
3. Solar Egg by Bigert and Bergstrom, Kiruna, Sweden
4. Meow Wolf, Santa Fe, US interactive, “mind-bending” art exhibit
5. Tejo at Los Amigos Club, Cali, Colombia a throwing sport that involves small explosions on impact
6. Museum of Old and New Art, Tasmania, Australia immersive light installations
7. Cinespia, Los Angeles outdoor, cemetery screenings
8. Casa Vicens, Barcelona Gaudi house designed as a summer resort, opened last year
9. Mil, Maras, Peru restaurant dedicated to high-altitude cuisine
10. Time Out Market Lisbon, Portugal a (somewhat self-congratulatory) food and cultural market developed by Time Out Lisbon editors.