The Jakarta Post
Dozens of people from three villages in North Aceh regency, Aceh, were rushed to local hospitals on Saturday evening after inhaling ammonia gas, allegedly coming from a leak at a nearby production facility of state fertilizer producer PT Pupuk Iskandar Muda (PIM).
Victims reported the incident, which broke out at approximately 6 p.m., with several people from Tambon Baroh, Tambon Tunong and Paloh Gadeng subdistricts experiencing severe headache and vomiting after smelling the scent of ammonia gas.
Within a few hours, at least 50 people experienced similar symptoms and were immediately rushed to Prima Inti Medika Hospital, which belongs to PIM, to receive emergency treatment.
“At least 30 people, including me, have been transferred to PT Arun Hospital [in the neighboring city of Lhokseumawe] after our conditions got worse. However, I feel much better after taking the medicine [received],” Muhammad Isa said, as quoted by tribunnews.com.
PIM management has yet to comment on the incident.
Currently, Aceh province has two fertilizer companies—PIM and Asean Aceh Fertilizer—both located in North Aceh. (hwa)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x