TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Aceh’s top sharia official denies plans to behead people

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Fri, March 16, 2018   /   05:54 pm
Aceh’s top sharia official denies plans to behead people The administration of Aceh denies it has plans to implement beheading as a punishment. (JP/ PJ Leo)

The head of the Sharia and Human Rights Division at Aceh’s Sharia Agency, Syukri Yusuf, denies having said that the province was going to implement beheading as a punishment for murder.

In a statement made available Friday, Syukri clarified the matter related to qisas, or retributive law.

“I have never said that Aceh will implement beheading. What I spoke about was the plan to do a study first, to see whether the people of Aceh would agree with implementing qisas,” he said.

Read also: Aceh cannot introduce beheading as punishment under bylaw, official says

Syukri said he had talked about qisas in his personal capacity as a scholar, rather than as a representative of the Aceh administration. The news about beheading, “which was construed as if I had said Aceh would implement beheading”, was detrimental to him and the Aceh government, he went on.

The news had spread across the world and was picked up by large media outlets. Syukri was the only source of the news.

“So far, research on qisas has not been included in the programs of the Aceh administration,” Syukri added. (evi)