TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Indonesia strongly condemns New Zealand mosque shooting

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Fri, March 15, 2019   /   02:21 pm
Indonesia strongly condemns New Zealand mosque shooting An image grab from TV New Zealand taken on Friday shows a victim arriving at a hospital following a mosque shooting in Christchurch. At least one gunman who targeted crowded mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch killed a number of people, police said. (AFP/TV New Zealand)

Indonesia has condemned an attack on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, during Friday prayers, which has reportedly left multiple people dead.

Authorities in New Zealand have urged residents to remain cautious.

"Indonesia strongly condemns the shooting,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday. "The government and the people of Indonesia convey our deep condolences to the victims and their families.”

The Indonesian Embassy in Wellington, which is located around 440 kilometers from Christchurch, has sent a team to the coastal city to monitor further developments and coordinate with local authorities, hospitals, as well as Indonesian student organizations in Christchurch to ensure the safety of its citizens in New Zealand.

The Foreign Ministry has a record of 330 Indonesians living in Christchurch, 134 of whom are students.

The embassy has set up hotline numbers, +64211 950980 and +6422 3812065, for those who seek information or any consular assistance following the incident.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described the incident, which has forced the city of Christchurch into lockdown as police launched a massive manhunt, as "one of New Zealand's darkest days", AFP reported.

Police said four people – three men and a woman – had been taken into custody, and that they had found and neutralized a number of improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

Meanwhile, local media have reported that at least nine people were dead, according to AFP. (ipa)