TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

118 foreigners refused entry to Indonesia in February due to China travel history

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Mon, February 24, 2020   /   04:14 pm
118 foreigners refused entry to Indonesia in February due to China travel history Passengers wearing face masks walk to a departure gate at Sukarno-Hatta international airport in Tangerang on Feb. 5. Indonesia has temporarily banned flights to and from mainland China and will not allow those who have been there in recent weeks to enter or transit in the country in response to fears about the spread of the novel coronavirus. (AFP/Adek Berry)

Immigration authorities denied entry to 118 foreigners in February in an effort to prevent the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from spreading to the country.

“The foreigners had lived in or visited China 14 days before arriving in Indonesia,” immigration spokesperson Arvin Gumilang said in a written statement on Sunday, adding that the denial of entry was in keeping with a 2020 Law and Human Rights Ministerial Decree that had been issued in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

The Immigration General Directory has issued overstay visas for 1,247 Chinese nationals across the country.

“Overstay visas were only issued to Chinese citizens in Indonesia whose visas had expired but who could not go back to their country because of the virus outbreak and because there was no means of transportation to take them there,” Arvin said. Airlines and airports have suspended all flights to and from mainland China following the government’s decision to impose a temporary travel ban to and from the country on Feb. 5.

There have been no confirmed COVID-19 cases in Indonesia to date. (gis)