TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Jakarta's satellite areas extend COVID-19 curbs for second time, with stricter rules

  • Arya Dipa and Tri Indah Oktavianti

    The Jakarta Post

Bandung and Jakarta   /   Thu, May 14, 2020   /   05:37 pm
Jakarta's satellite areas extend COVID-19 curbs for second time, with stricter rules Motorists crowd Jl. Raya Kedung Halang in Bogor, West Java, despite the implementation of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) on May 8. (Antara/Yulius Satria Wijaya)

Jakarta's satellite areas of Bogor, Depok and Bekasi in West Java have extended their large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) policy until May 26, albeit with stricter regulations in place to ensure public compliance with coronavirus health protocols.

West Java Governor Ridwan Kamil issued on Tuesday Gubernatorial Regulation No. 39/2020 stipulating additional rules for the mobility restrictions in place in Bogor municipality and regency, Depok as well as Bekasi municipality and regency.

"Generally, the rules are pretty much the same [as before], however, Article 16 of the regulation stipulates stricter rules for private and government employees," West Java COVID-19 task force spokesperson Daud Achmad said on Wednesday.

Under the new regulation, all employees who still commute to work are not only required to bring their ID cards, but they must also bring an official letter of duty from the company and a medical statement from a hospital declaring that they are free from COVID-19 based on the result of a rapid or polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test.

"Companies and factories with permits to operate must implement strict health protocols, including by conducting massive health tests for their employees," Daud said.

Informal workers who are not employed in private companies or the government sector should obtain an official statement signed by the head of the subdistrict or village where they live.

Those who are found to have violated the regulations will face sanctions as stipulated in West Java Gubernatorial Regulation No. 40/2020, which was also issued on Tuesday.

Read also: COVID-19: Java on 'red alert' as deaths spike

Citizens who go outside without wearing a mask, for instance, may face a fine of Rp 100,000 (US$6.70) to Rp 250,000. Those involved in gatherings of more than five people will also be fined and/or required to do community service, such as cleaning public facilities.

Any workplace that violates PSBB rules by forcing its employees to continue working without a permit from the regional government will be sealed and fined up to Rp 10 million.

Restaurants that don't comply with the “take-away only” restriction will be fined up to Rp 10 million, while hotels that attract massive gatherings will be fined up to Rp 50 million. 

Private vehicles that fill more than 50 percent of their passenger capacity and motorists without masks will face fines ranging from Rp 500,000 to Rp 1 million.

Bogor, Depok and Bekasi first implemented their 14-day mobility restrictions on April 15, following in the footsteps of capital Jakarta, the region hardest-hit by coronavirus in the country. The West Java administration then declared the first two-week extension of PSBB measures in the satellite cities on April 29, claiming that the restrictions had resulted in a decrease of the disease transmission.

West Java has also imposed province-wide mobility restrictions from May 6 to 19.

Jakarta and West Java are the only two provinces on Java Island that have imposed PSBB measures so far, despite the fact that all six provinces on the island, home to some 151 million people, have been hit by the COVID-19 outbreak.

As of Wednesday afternoon, West Java had confirmed 1,556 cases of COVID-19 and 98 deaths.