TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Medan archdiocese suspends services after seven, including archbishop, test positive for COVID-19

  • Apriadi Gunawan

    The Jakarta Post

Medan   /   Tue, July 21, 2020   /   08:32 am
Medan archdiocese suspends services after seven, including archbishop, test positive for COVID-19 Worship services in the Medan archdiocese in North Sumatra have been suspended until further notice after seven people, including Medan archbishop Mgr. Kornelius Sipayung, contracted COVID-19. (Shutterstock/Chiangrai)

Worship services in the Medan archdiocese in North Sumatra have been suspended until further notice after seven people, including Medan archbishop Mgr. Kornelius Sipayung, contracted COVID-19.

Medan archdiocese spokesperson Benjamin Purba said the services were suspended to prevent the spread of the contagious respiratory disease within the church community.

“We don’t want any more [people] to be infected with COVID-19, so we have stopped services within the Medan archdiocese,” Benjamin told The Jakarta Post on Monday.

Benjamin said Kornelius was the first to be confirmed positive before four priests, who also live within the archdiocese on Jl. Imam Bonjol, Medan, tested positive.

The four priests are Michael Manurung, Frans Borta P. Rumapea, Romualdus Namirun and Jody Turnip.

Read also: 'Reinfected' North Sumatra COVID-19 patient 'feels fine, but stressed'

Two nuns had also tested positive, Benjamin added.

“They are currently receiving treatment at a hospital,” Benjamin said, adding that the patients, including Kornelius, were in a stable condition.

Benjamin urged all residents and worshipers who had been in close contact with the patients to consult a doctor.

“Anyone who has met with the archbishop, pastors or nuns since July 1, please immediately consult a doctor. We must be cautious,” he said.

North Sumatra COVID-19 task force spokesperson Aris Yudhariansyah confirmed the reported infections among people in the Medan archdiocese, without revealing any more details.

As of Monday, North Sumatra has recorded 2,952 confirmed COVID-19 infections and 149 deaths. (syk)