The Jakarta Post
East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) Governor Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat says his administration plans to improve facilities in Wae Rebo cultural village to attract tourists. (Shutterstock/Godila)
East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) Governor Viktor Bungtilu Laiskodat reopened on Sunday Wae Rebo cultural village in Manggarai regency to domestic and international tourists.
"We'll start receiving guests as long as they follow the health protocols," Viktor said as reported by kompas.com.
He said the decision to reopen the recipient of the 2012 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Award for Cultural Heritage Conservation was made after discussions with tribal leaders and local stakeholders.
The popular tourist destination had been closed for six months due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Viktor said the NTT administration planned to improve facilities in the village in a bid to attract more tourists and help the local economy recover.
"We'll set up a rest area for visitors and improve road access so that two-wheelers can easily enter and leave the village. It's important for logistics purposes and evacuations," he said.
Currently, tourists need to walk 4.2 kilometers to get to Wae Rebo village, which is located 1,200 meters above sea level.
The administration also plans to build an elementary school in the village.
"I'll order the head of [NTT] Education and Culture Agency to coordinate with the Manggarai administration so children no longer need to go [to the nearest town] and waste a lot of time," Victor said, adding that he would also improve health facilities in the village.
Victor expressed hope that the village could be more independent in agriculture and animal husbandry. (nal)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x