press enter to search

George R. R. Martin to continue ‘Game of Thrones’ despite HBO’s controversial ending

News Desk

The Jakarta Post

-  /  Sat, August 24, 2019  /  10:06 am
George R. R. Martin to continue ‘Game of Thrones’ despite HBO’s controversial ending

'A Song of Ice and Fire' by George R. R. Martin, with a Game of Thrones dragon cover DVD collection (Shutterstock/Milleflore Images)

Even though one possible ending has been explored in the HBO television show, Game of Thrones creator George R. R. Martin is still continuing on his plans to finish the book series.

Martin boldly stated in an interview with The Observer that the disputed finale for the series is not going to affect the ending of the last two novels which are due to be released.

“No, it doesn’t. It doesn’t change anything at all […] You can’t please everybody, so you’ve got to please yourself,” he told the Observer.

Many fans expressed their disagreement with the endings on TV and believed that it wasn’t good. An online petition calling for a rewrite of the final season garnered over a million signatures, and at San Diego Comic-Con last month, the GoT panel began with a plea for civility.

Read also: George R.R. Martin hints at different 'Game of Thrones' ending

Martin also believed that the show and his newfound fame have slowed down his writing process as he kept on feeling the pressure of finishing the series.

“I’ve only written four pages when I should have written 40,” Martin was quoted as saying.

Martin has said that exploring bookstores is something that he loves and possibly helps him write, but he can no longer do it leisurely.

He recalls the days when he could just walk into a bookstore, wander from one shelf to another, skim numerous books, an activity that used to be his “favorite thing to do in the world.”

“Now when I go to a bookstore, I get recognized within 10 minutes and there’s a crowd around me,” said Martin. (ran/mut)