TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Indonesian haj death toll grows to 59

  • The Jakarta Post

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, October 1, 2015   /  01:27 pm
Indonesian haj death toll grows to 59

Devotion: The death toll of Indonesian pilgrims in the haj stampede incident, during the jumrah stone-throwing ritual, rises to 41 on Monday. (bbc.com)

Two more Indonesian pilgrims have been identified as fatalities in last week's stampede tragedy in Mina, increasing the country's haj death toll to 59 people.

The newly identified victims are Abdul Wahab Idris Jafar from the BTH 14 kloter and Hosen Ibrohim Nimat from the SUB 48 kloter.

According to the head of the Religious Affairs Ministry's Saudi office, Arsyad Hidayat, the ministry had communicated with Saudi authorities regarding the possibility of bringing the victims' bodies home to Indonesia.

"But most Indonesian haj pilgrims are preferring to bury their relatives in Mecca," said Arsyad as quoted by kompas.com.

Since the corpses have been kept for seven days, Al Muashim mortuary authorities have decided to bury those that had been identified.

"It's part of an effort to avoid the spread of unwanted diseases, as per the directions of the Health Ministry," said Arsyad.

He added that one injured Indonesian from the SUB 48 kloter, Murtiningsih Neman Sunar Akun, had returned to her group, bringing the number of Indonesian victims being treated at Saudi hospitals down to four people. (kes)(++++)

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now