The Jakarta Post
Attorney General HM Prasetyo has remained silent about the details of the executions of the drug convicts held on the Nusakambangan prison island in Cilacap, Central Java, although he confirmed their imminent deaths.
He refused to answer journalists’ questions, such as about the total number of inmates who would face the firing squad, or the exact time of the executions, except by saying the public should just "wait and see".
"This matter is related to people's lives, so please don't make speculations about it," Prasetyo told the journalists on Thursday.
He further said that although the convicts were "big" criminals, they should still be respected as human beings. He made assurances that the Indonesian government had implemented fair judicial procedures before imposing the death penalty on the inmates.
Security in the Nusakambangan area has been tightened since earlier this week following reports of the imminent executions. As many as 1,500 police, as well as Indonesian Army and Navy personnel, have been deployed to secure the prison island. (ebf)
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x