TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Operation Tinombala gets three-month extension

  • Ruslan Sangadji

    The Jakarta Post

Palu, Central Sulawesi   /   Mon, April 3, 2017   /   09:32 pm
 Operation Tinombala gets three-month extension Operation Tinombala personnel move the body of a East Indonesia Mujahidin (MIT) terrorist group member who was shot dead recently. (JP/Ruslan Sangadji)

Operation Tinombala in Poso, Central Sulawesi, was extended to July 3 to meet a request from local police, an official has said.

Central Sulawesi Police chief Brig. Gen. Rudy Sufahariadi said on Monday that local police had asked that the operation aimed to tackle terrorism in Poso continue.

“There are still some nine members of the East Indonesia Mujahidin [MIT] terrorist group in the forests. That’s why we’ve asked for the extension,” Rudy told The Jakarta Post.

For the extension, the number of joint police and military personnel would be kept at 1,500.

Some 153 Tinombala personnel received promotions on Sunday morning. Tadulako 132 Military Resort Command chief Col. Muhammad Saleh Mustafa said the promotions had been granted for the troops’ dedication to the state.

Meanwhile, a Tinombala police personnel was found dead after reportedly committing suicide at the State Police School (SPN) in Labuan Panimba village, Donggala district, on Monday afternoon.

The member of the Central Sulawesi Police’s Mobile Brigade (Brimob), identified as Second Insp. Sasmidias, reportedly shot himself hours before returning to Jakarta after completing his mission in Poso.

No statement was available in relation to the incident from the regional police as of Monday night.