The Jakarta Post
Deputy governor-elect Sandiaga Uno has criticized a highly contested proposal to expand a motorcycle ban to more Jakarta thoroughfares, saying that the move requires thorough consideration and study.
A meeting between the Jakarta administration and the city police on June 7 concluded there was a need to ban motorcycles from three main streets – Jl. Sudirman, Jl. Gatot Subroto and Jl. Rasuna Said – which run through the business district in Central Jakarta, Senayan in South Jakarta and Cawang in East Jakarta, the area previously affected by the 3-in-1 and odd-even plate policies.
"Don't be too rushed to make a policy. We need data to know in detail the fundamental problem behind it and its urgency," Sandiaga said on Thursday night as quoted by kompas.com, adding that city officials had yet to reveal sufficient data to support their claims.
Under a policy that has been in place since December 2014, motorcycles are currently not allowed to use two other main streets in the capital, Jl. MH Thamrin and Jl. Medan Merdeka Barat in Central Jakarta.
"The idea was based on the fact that the traffic jams in the city got worse because of the ongoing development of some infrastructure," Jakarta Transportation Agency head Andri Yansyah said on Tuesday.
The officials are planning to hold another meeting before establishing a legal umbrella to regulate the plan, the head of law enforcement with the Jakarta Police traffic unit, Adj. Sr. Comr. Budiyanto, said earlier. (fac)