TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Government apologizes for worsening traffic because of LRT construction

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Mon, August 7, 2017   /   11:15 am
Government apologizes for worsening traffic because of LRT construction Workers assemble box girders for the light rail transit (LRT) line in Kelapa Gading, North Jakarta, on May 30. (JP/Seto Wardhana)

Coordinating Maritime Affairs Minister Luhut Pandjaitan has apologized on behalf of the government to road users for the worsening traffic caused by the construction of light rail transit (LRT) lines in Greater Jakarta.

"It [LRT construction] has caused inconvenience but we have no other choice,” Luhut said while inspecting the construction of the Cawang-Cibubur LRT line in East Jakarta over the weekend.

The first phase of the LRT construction – the Cawang-Cibubur, Cawang-Bekasi Timur and Cawang-Dukuh Atas lines –was being accelerated, said Luhut, adding that the work was expected to be completed in 2018 and LRT should be operating by 2019.

Read also: Govt promotes LRT’s commercial appeal to lure investors

The second phase -- Cibubur-Bogor, Dukuh Atas-Senayan-Palmerah, and Palmerah-Grogol lines –construction of which will start next year, is expected to be finished by 2020, he said.

State-owned construction company PT Adhi Karya Budi Harto said almost 20 percent of the first phase had been completed.

Adhi Karya operational director Pundjung Setya Brata said progress of the Cibubur-Cawang line had reached 37 percent, the Bekasi Timur-Cawang line 17 percent and the Cawang-Dukuh Atas line 3 percent. (bbn)