TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Seven die from carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Aman Rochman

    The Jakarta Post

Malang, East Java   /   Fri, September 29, 2017   /   09:01 pm
Seven die from carbon monoxide poisoning Police and health officials place a victim's body in an ambulance. Seven people died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Ngadas village, Malang, East Java, on Thursday. (JP/Aman Rochman)

Seven people died on Thursday in the village hall of Ngadas village in Malang, East Java, after they inhaled carbon monoxide fumes emitting from a generator.

The victims, who were laborers renovating the village hall’s office, died from carbon monoxide poisoning. They were found on Thursday morning by a local resident who went to wake them up, village chief Mujianto said.

The victims had borrowed a generator from residents on Wednesday night after the power went out, he said, adding that the residents had warned them to open the windows and doors when using it.

Malang Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Yade Setiawan Ujung confirmed the incident took place.

The men, who were not residents of Ngadas village, were all found in a sleeping position, he said. Police took the seven victims to Saiful Anwar Hospital for autopsies. (rin)