The Jakarta Post
A budget proposal for the official portrait of the next Jakarta deputy governor has been rejected by the City Council budget committee in a meeting on the revised 2018 state budget.
Jakarta administration assistant Artal Reswan proposed a budget of Rp 150 million (US$10,078) for a portrait of the yet-to-be-named deputy governor who will replace Sandiaga Uno, who left his post to run for vice president alongside presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto, the leader of the Gerindra Party, in next year’s election.
“We [proposed] an increased [budget] for the portrait of the new deputy governor. The photo will need to be duplicated, perhaps [with a budget of] Rp 150 million,” Reswan said on Thursday, kompas.com reported.
City Council Speaker Prasetyo Edi Marsudi immediately rejected the proposal, saying the operational budget of the deputy governor had been set too high, so there would be no need to set aside additional funds.
The operational budget is set at Rp 1.4 billion for the deputy governor and Rp 2.1 billion for the governor. An additional Rp 1 billion is kept by the Jakarta treasurer’s assistant, bringing the total between the three to Rp 4.5 billion per month.
“That [the Rp 4.5 billion] is for operations of the governor and deputy governor. It’s a lot. Just take it from there,” Prasetyo said.
Gerindra and the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) – parties that supported Anies Baswedan and Sandiaga Uno in the 2017 Jakarta gubernatorial election – are set to propose two candidates to fill the vacant deputy governor seat. (ami)