The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Council NasDem Party faction head Bestari Barus has suggested that the city administration should scrap OK OCE city's flagship project from the city’s budget if it does not provide capital to registered residents of the entrepreneurship program.
“If in the next year there is also no budget allocated for their capital, I am convinced that this program should be scrapped,” Bestari said on Monday as quoted by kompas.com.
He said the capital was necessary for the members as the first step to become entrepreneurs because they have to cover their travel expenses when attending OK OCE training held at district offices in the city.
Bestari added that he had previously suggested the administration allocate Rp 5 billion (US$336,513) on the city’s mid-term regional development plan to each district for the program, which was introduced by Governor Anies Baswedan and his former deputy, Sandiaga Uno, during the gubernatorial election campaign last year.
“When I read the faction’s general overview [during a plenary meeting], I have suggested to allocate a total of Rp 220 billion for the program, [the administration] only said yes and yes but it turned it was not executed,” he said.
The administration has targeted to create 40,000 new entrepreneurs through the program to improve the economy. However, four months into the new year, only 150 OK OCE members have earned the necessary permits to run their businesses.
The administration previously said it preferred to help connect the would-be entrepreneurs to financial institutions instead of directly allocating budgets for their businesses. (fac)