TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Coronavirus outbreak: Jokowi orders immediate evacuation of Indonesians from Hubei

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, January 30, 2020   /   07:24 pm
Coronavirus outbreak: Jokowi orders immediate evacuation of Indonesians from Hubei   Breaking News (TJP/File)

President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has ordered the immediate evacuation of all Indonesian citizens from coronavirus-hit Hubei province in China.

The decision was made by the President after he met several of his ministers, including Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi in Halim Perdanakusuma Air Base in East Jakarta on Thursday evening.

“The President has instructed [us] to immediately evacuate Indonesian citizens from Hubei province,” Retno said after the meeting.

Retno previously said Indonesia was carrying out intense and detailed coordination with the Chinese authorities so that the evacuees could be repatriated soon amid a lockdown in Wuhan and surrounding Hubei province -- the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, which has killed 170.

Approximately 243 Indonesians are trapped in Hubei.

The Air Force has maintained three aircraft and health personnel on standby to evacuate Indonesian citizens from Hubei at any time, awaiting instructions from the government. The government has also prepared Sulianto Saroso Hospital in North Jakarta to be used as a quarantine facility to monitor the inbound citizens once they arrive in Indonesia. (kuk)