TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Two high-ranking Jakarta administration officials test positive for COVID-19

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Sun, September 13, 2020   /   01:53 pm
Two high-ranking Jakarta administration officials test positive for COVID-19 Good to be back: Jakartans take to the streets around the Hotel Indonesia traffic circle to exercise during Car Free Day on Sunday. (JP/Donny Fernando)

Jakarta administration secretary Saefullah and West Jakarta Mayor Uus Kuswanto have tested positive for COVID-19, officials reported on Saturday.

Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan confirmed the news, adding that both city high-ranking officials had shown no symptoms of COVID-19.

“We sincerely hope they will recover soon,” Anies said at City Hall in Jakarta on Saturday.

City Council deputy speaker Muhammad Taufik previously demanded that the government publicly announce when city officials were infected by the virus.

“Getting infected with COVID-19 is not a disgrace to hide. But it is necessary [to be publicized] for further contact tracing,” he said as quoted by tempo.co.

Read also: Central government supports return to full PSBB, Anies says

On Wednesday, Anies Baswedan announced that the administration planned to reimpose full large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) starting Monday due to a rising number of new COVID-19 cases in the capital.

The Jakarta administration is scheduled to hold a press conference regarding the details of the policy on Sunday afternoon.

According to the official government count, Jakarta had 52,840 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 1,386 deaths as of Saturday. (trn)