TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Nearly Rp 5 billion collected in fines from health protocol violators

As of Nov. 5, the police have slapped violators with fines over 82,000 times with a total value of Rp 4.8 billion.

News Desk (The Jakarta Post)
Premium
Jakarta
Tue, November 10, 2020

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

T

he National Police collected nearly Rp 5 billion (US$351,729) in fines from violators of the government’s COVID-19 health protocols between Sept. 14 and Nov. 5.

The police were joined by the Indonesian Military (TNI) and local stakeholders to net health protocol violators through Operation Yustisi, which aims to monitor and discipline the public over health protocols. The operation was carried out in several regions.

“As of Nov. 5, our joint team has slapped violators with fines over 82,457 times, with a total value of Rp 4.8 billion,” National Police spokesperson Brig. Gen. Awi Setiyono said on Sunday as quoted by tempo.co. He went on to say that the police had handed the funds over to the state coffers.

In addition to fines, the police also issued nearly 10 million written and oral warnings, Awi said. The force also temporarily closed down nearly 2,000 businesses found to have violated prevailing health protocols.

Awi said the fines and sanctions were in line with Presidential Decree No. 6/2020 on the enforcement of COVID -19 protocols. He warned that repeat of- fenders would eventually become subject to imprisonment. “If [an individual] continues to violate [the protocols] despite having been warned multiple times, then like it or not, we will have to enforce the law,” Awi said.

Previously, the Jakarta administration reportedly collected around Rp 4 billion in fines from residents violating COVID -19 health protocols as stipulated in Gubernatorial Regulation No. 51/2020, which entered into force on June 4.

There has been a list of rather unorthodox penalties imposed by several regional administrations across the archipelago to ensure public compliance with COVID -19 protocols.

to Read Full Story

  • Unlimited access to our web and app content
  • e-Post daily digital newspaper
  • No advertisements, no interruptions
  • Privileged access to our events and programs
  • Subscription to our newsletters
or

Purchase access to this article for

We accept

TJP - Visa
TJP - Mastercard
TJP - GoPay

Redirecting you to payment page

Pay per article

Nearly Rp 5 billion collected in fines from health protocol violators

Rp 35,000 / article

1
Create your free account
By proceeding, you consent to the revised Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.
Already have an account?

2
  • Palmerat Barat No. 142-143
  • Central Jakarta
  • DKI Jakarta
  • Indonesia
  • 10270
  • +6283816779933
2
Total Rp 35,000

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.