Can't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsCan't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsoldova's pro-Russian breakaway region of Transnistria said on Wednesday that shots were fired from Ukraine toward a village that houses an ammunition depot, the latest report to raise concern that Russia's war in Ukraine might expand.
Meanwhile, Ukraine accused Moscow on Tuesday of trying to drag Moldova's breakaway region of Transnistria into its war on Kyiv after authorities in the Moscow-backed region said they had been targeted by a series of attacks.
The interior ministry of the unrecognized region that borders southwestern Ukraine said in a statement that several drones had been detected flying over the village of Cobasna overnight and they had been launched from Ukraine.
It said shots were later fired on Wednesday morning toward the border village from Ukrainian territory. It gave no further details but said nobody had been hurt.
Russia has a contingent of troops in Transnistria guarding many tons of ammunition stored in the region since before the 1991 breakup of the Soviet Union. Moscow also has peacekeepers there after a conflict between separatist and Moldovan forces.
Transnistria's interior ministry cited "experts" as saying that Cobasna holds the biggest ammunition depot in Europe.
Moldova's government and Ukraine's defense ministry did not immediately reply to a request for comment about the statement from Transnistria's interior ministry.
Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.
Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!
Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.