TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Philippine govt condemns Abu Sayyaf beheading of German captive

  • Kristine Angeli Sabillo

    Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN

Manila   /   Tue, February 28, 2017   /  03:41 pm
Philippine govt condemns Abu Sayyaf beheading of German captive Juergen Kantner in Abu Sayyaf video (Associated Press/Abu Sayyaf file)

The Philippine government condemned the killing of a German Abu Sayyaf hostage whose wife was killed by the extremist group last year.

Peace Adviser Jesus Dureza on Monday said the military did its best in trying to rescue the German hostage before he was beheaded by the Abu Sayyaf.

“Up to the last moment, many sectors, including the Armed Forces of the Philippines exhausted all efforts to save his life,” Dureza said in a statement, referring to Jurgen Gustav Kantner who was killed in Sulu.

“We all tried our best. But to no avail,” he said. “We condole with his family, friends and loved ones.”

Dureza said the Philippine government grieves as it condemns “the barbaric beheading of another kidnap victim.”

Abu Sayyaf demanded a ransom of Peso 30 million (US$598,000) although the Philippine government has a no ransom policy.

“Terrorism has no place in a country like ours and we as a people must confront violent extremism every time it rears its ugly head,” Dureza said.

He said he is in “close contact with German authorities.”

Kantner was sailing in Malaysian waters with his wife Sabine Merz when they were attacked by the Abu Sayyaf. Merz was killed onboard the boat.

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now

NEWS PULSE