The Jakarta Post
Tanah Lot Temple is the country's most beloved man-made landmark according to travel website TripAdvisor. (shutterstock.com/-)
TripAdvisor has announced its annual list of popular man-made landmarks in Indonesia and apparently travelers find temples in Bali and Central Java the most attractive destinations as six of them have made it into the top 10.
Tanah Lot Temple in Bali has been crowned first place, followed by Borobudur and Prambanan temples, both in Central Java, in second and third place, respectively.
One of Bali's seven most sacred Hindu temples, Tanah Lot is always packed with local as well as foreign visitors.
Other temples recognized on the list include Uluwatu, Tirta Empul and Lempuyang; all located in Bali.
As for the world rankings, Machu Picchu in Peru has been recognized as the most popular man-made attraction by TripAdvisor, followed by Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, and Angkor Wat in Cambodia.
“The Travelers’ Choice Landmarks highlight some of the world’s most iconic, must-see man-made attractions that have won the TripAdvisor community worldwide,” said TripAdvisor communications director for Asia Pacific Janice Lee Fang in a press release on Wednesday.
(Read also: Bali, Lombok beaches most popular among travelers)
The company uses an algorithm that takes into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, restaurants and attractions worldwide over a 12-month period, as well as traveler booking interest, resulting in its list of award winners. (kes)
Top 10 man-made landmarks in Indonesia:
1. Tanah Lot Temple, Tabanan, Bali
2. Borobudur Temple, Magelang, Central Java
3. Prambanan Temple, Yogyakarta, Central Java
4. Uluwatu Temple, Uluwatu, Bali
5. Tirta Gangga, Karangasem, Bali
6. USS Liberty Shipwreck, Tulamben, Bali
7. Baiturrahman Grand Mosque, Banda Aceh
8. Tirta Empul Temple, Gianyar, Bali
9. Pertapaan Karmel OCD, Bandung
10. Lempuyang Temple, Bali
Top 10 landmarks in the world:
1. Machu Picchu, Peru
2. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center, Abu Dhabi
3. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
4. St. Peter’s Basilica, Italy
5. Taj Mahal, India
6. Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba, Spain
7. Church of the Savior on Spilt Blood, Russia
8. The Alhambra, Spain
9. Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, United States
10. Milan Cathedral (Duomo), Italy
Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)close x