The Jakarta Post
A woman sits on the floor and looking at Taj Mahal in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India. (Shutterstock/File)
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced during his visit to Jakarta last year a free tourist e-visa policy for Indonesians visiting India.
The decision aims to increase the number of Indonesian tourist visits to India by simplifying the visa process, which is now free of charge and made easier through an online application system.
Here are several important tips to know before applying, as compiled by kompas.com.
1. Ensure that your passport has at least six months’ validity from the date of arrival in India. It should also have at least two blank pages for stamping by the immigration officer. International travelers should have a return ticket or onward journey ticket, with sufficient money to spend during their stay in India.
2. Obtain an online visa four days before arriving at the latest, or earlier to be safe. The date of arrival to India should not be more than 120 days after obtaining an online visa. For example, if you apply for a visa to on Sept. 1, it would be valid from Sept. 5 to Jan. 2.
Read also: Tourist destinations that need some loving
3. To apply for a tourist e-visa, attach a scan of your passport that shows your photo and personal data. For medical, business or conference purposes, additional documents are required.
4. Prepare a colored photograph with a white background. It should be 5 centimeters by 5 cm in size, and be in matte print, not a shiny wash, to be uploaded along with the online application. The photo must also be less than 1 MB in size.
5. The tourist e-visa is valid for 60 days from your arrival in India. Reentering is permitted, provided that it is still within the period of the visit. The e-visa is valid only at 27 Indian arrival airports and five ports.
6. Watch out for fake sites that request fees for visa applications. Remember that the e-visa is free of any fees for Indonesian tourists.
7. To apply, go to indianvisaonline.gov.in and go to the e-visa application page. Follow the steps carefully and fill in the online form according to your passport and personal data. If successful, the e-visa document will be emailed to you in 72 hours, or three business days. (liz/kes)