TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

19 feared trapped after collapse at Philippines construction site

Agencies
Manila
Sun, May 24, 2026 Published on May. 24, 2026 Published on 2026-05-24T11:06:08+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
This handout photo taken and released on May 24, 2026 via the Facebook page of the Angeles City Public Information Office shows rescuers standing next to a collapsed building in Angeles City in Pampanga province. Nineteen people are feared trapped after a building under construction near Manila collapsed early on May 24, a local government official said. This handout photo taken and released on May 24, 2026 via the Facebook page of the Angeles City Public Information Office shows rescuers standing next to a collapsed building in Angeles City in Pampanga province. Nineteen people are feared trapped after a building under construction near Manila collapsed early on May 24, a local government official said. (AFP/Angeles City Public Information Office)

N

ineteen people are feared trapped after a building under construction near Manila collapsed early on Sunday, a local government official said.

Officials in Angeles City, around 80 kilometers north of the Philippine capital, said they had received a report at about 3:00 a.m. that an unfinished nine-story concrete building had given way.

City information officer Jay Pelayo told AFP that the building's walls and scaffolding had buckled, likely trapping people in a pile of debris.

While there were no initial reports of casualties, "there are 19 personnel that usually report in the area, so they are the ones we are trying to locate now," Pelayo said.

"There are big chunks of concrete, and we need equipment to lift them up. That is what's challenging for the rescue right now."

Initial reports suggested 24 people had been rescued from the rubble as well as two from an apartment-style hotel that was hit when the building came down, the city government said.

"We hope the 19 people are part of that number" and therefore accounted for, Pelayo said.

Interviews to determine the survivors' identities were ongoing, Pelayo added.

Those rescued were in a "stable condition", he said.

The cause of the collapse is not yet known.

Reuters reported that two people feared trapped after the building collapse were alive and communicating with rescuers on Sunday.

"They are in constant communication. We are awaiting more details, but our rescuers are doing their best to pull the survivors out of the rubble," Pelayo told Reuters.

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.