TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Jokowi to celebrate Idul Fitri in Surakarta despite security concerns

  • Ganug Nugroho Adi

    The Jakarta Post

Surakarta   /   Tue, July 5, 2016   /  09:17 pm
Jokowi to celebrate Idul Fitri in Surakarta despite security concerns Under investigation – Police officers examine the scene of a suicide bomb attack at the Surakarta Police headquarters on Jl. Adi Sucipto in Manahan, Surakarta, Central Java, on Tuesday morning. National Police chief Gen. Badrodin Haiti said on Tuesday that the bombing would not affect President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s plans to celebrate Idul Fitri in his hometown. (thejakartapost.com/Ganug Nugroho Adi)

The National Police have pushed aside speculation that a suicide bomb attack at the Surakarta Police headquarters on Tuesday morning had targeted President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.

National Police chief Badrodin Haiti said terrorist suspects usually targeted police officers and assets such as security posts, police stations and patrol vehicles.  

“The target of terrorists in Tuesday’s attack was similar to what was targeted by previous perpetrators, namely police officers, police offices, police vehicles, security posts and many more,” Badrodin told journalists at the Surakarta Police headquarters on Tuesday.

The police chief confirmed that President Jokowi was scheduled to celebrate Idul Fitri with his family in Surakarta after a working visit to Padang, West Sumatra. He said the suicide bomb at the Surakarta Police office on Tuesday morning had nothing to do with the President’s plans.

“Still, we will beef up security for the President, including when he returns to his hometown on Wednesday to celebrate Idul Fitri,” said Badrodin.

Surakarta Mayor FX Hadi “Rudy” Rudyatmo confirmed that President Jokowi’s plan to return to his hometown would not be canceled. Rudy guaranteed that Surakarta would be safe and people’s activities would not be disrupted by the bombing.

“The President is set to return home to Surakarta after he completes his working visit to Padang. It is likely he will come on Wednesday, instead of Thursday as previously scheduled. Pak Jokowi will still go home,” said Rudy.

Following the suicide bomb attack, Indonesian Air Force personnel beefed up security at Adi Soemarmo International Airport on Tuesday. Dozens of security personnel, including from the Air Force, have been deployed to stand guard at the airport’s entranceway. They are thoroughly inspecting every vehicle that enters the airport.

The general manager of state-owned airport operator PT Angkasa Pura I, Abdullah Usman, said the strengthening of security was actually part of precautions for Idul Fitri. However, security had tightened following the bomb attack on Tuesday morning. “This is aimed at not only securing Idul Fitri but also anticipating terrorism,” said Usman. (ebf)

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now