The Jakarta Post
Prosecutors are set to withdraw the appeal against North Jakarta District Court’s decision which sentenced non-active Jakarta governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama to two years in prison for blasphemy.
Attorney General HM Prasetyo said that the prosecutors would withdraw the appeal because Ahok had decided to not undergo further legal process to challenge the court's ruling.
"Ahok has accepted the verdict. Let's not only focus on one case. There are a lot of cases that we need to pay attention to," Prasetyo said as quoted by tribunnews.com on Wednesday.
He said he hoped that all parties would stop making a fuss over the case as it had been finished.
The appeal too should only aim to bring benefits, he said.
The prosecutors have yet to disclose the date for withdrawing the appeal.
The Jakarta High Court has formed a five-judge panel to examine the case, comprising Imam Sungudi as the presiding judge, Elang Prakoso Wibowo, Daniel D Pairunan, I Nyoman Sutama and Achmad Yusak. (cal)