The Jakarta Post
The revocation of First Media’s permit will not affect the company’s customers of FastNet internet and cable TV services of the company, but it will affect users of mobile broadband offered through Bolt, according to the Communications and Information Ministry.
The ministry said it had been preparing measures to protect interests of customers of First Media, a subsidiary of Lippo Group, following the loss of its permit on Monday.
Ministry spokesman Fernandus Setu said in Jakarta on Monday that the FastNet internet and Kabel TV services were not part of the revoked 2.3 GHz frequency permit.
The frequency permit was revoked by the ministry as the company, and two others, failed to pay frequency fees since 2016.
Fernandus added that the revocation would affect broadband services provided through the company’s Bolt products. “The mobile broadband service called Bolt will automatically be affected,” Fernandus said, as quoted by tempo.co.
The ministry on Monday revoked the permit of radio frequency tapes (IPFR) of internet providers PT First Media, PT Internux and PT Jasnita Tellekomindo for the companies’ failure to pay the frequency fees since 2016. The three companies were the winners of the auction in 2009.
The unpaid fees amounted to Rp 364.84 billion (US$24.93 million) for First Media, Rp 343.57 billion for Internux and Rp 2.19 billion for Jasnita.
Previously, the ministry’s resources director, Dwi Handoko, said the government would protect the interests of Bolt customers together with the National Consumer Protection Body (BPKN) and the Indonesian Consumers Organization (YLKI).
“We are preparing measures to protect consumers. We are in discussions with the BPKN and YLKI,” Dwi said, as quoted by kompas.com. (bbn)