TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Smartfren takes over Bolt's 4G LTE internet service

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Tue, January 1, 2019   /   04:00 pm
Smartfren takes over Bolt's 4G LTE internet service The Communications and Information Ministry has revoked the 2.3 GHz frequency permit of Internux (Bolt), First Media and Jasnita Telekomindo starting Friday, Dec. 28, because of the providers' failure to pay frequency fees to operate 4G LTE networks, reported kompas.com. (Shutterstock/File)

Local telecommunication operator PT Smartfren Telecom will take over the operations of 4G LTE mobile internet provider Bolt PT Internux, affiliated with Indonesian conglomerate Lippo Group, whose frequency permit was recently terminated by the government the company failing to pay the fees to operate a 4G LTE network.

“We have made this agreement as part of our support for Bolt customers. Its customers are now able to replace their 4G cards to our Smartfren Now+ prepaid SIM cards for free,” Smartfren’s deputy CEO Djoko Tata Ibrahim said in a statement.

To have their Smartfren SIM cards activated, Djoko said, Bolt customers were required to verify their accounts at one of its Smartfren’s 28 special outlets across Greater Jakarta and Medan in North Sumatra.

“Following the takeover, Bolt's customers can get internet services on a wider scale, since the Smartfren network service is available in more than 200 cities in the country,” he added.

Last week, the Communications and Information Ministry revoked the 4G broadband license of PT Internux over unpaid fees totaling Rp 5.65 trillion. The revocation affected only Bolt customers, not those subscribing to cable internet and TV services. (das)