TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Jokowi reasserts control over next Cabinet

  • Karina M. Tehusijarana and Ghina Ghaliya

    The Jakarta Post

PREMIUM
Jakarta   /   Fri, August 16, 2019   /  08:55 am
The Jakarta Post Image
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo(The Jakarta Post/Wienda Parwitasari)

Following weeks of lobbying, jockeying and speculation, President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo appeared to reassert control over the Cabinet minister selection process for his second term on Wednesday by announcing that the lineup has been finalized, though he stopped short of naming names. Jokowi claimed that around 55 percent of the appointments were his own choice, while the remaining 45 percent were political party suggestions. He also said the sub-Cabinet position of attorney general, which is currently held by NasDem Party politician Muhammad Prasetyo, would be filled by a professional rather than a party appointee. The President further signaled that there were unlikely to be additional parties from outside his coalition accommodated in the Cabinet, given that his camp already controlled around 62 percent of the seats in the House of Representatives. "How many more...