TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

New Zealand moves mosque shooting trial to avoid Ramadan

  • News Desk

    Agence France-Presse

Wellington, New Zealand   /   Thu, September 12, 2019   /   01:31 pm
New Zealand moves mosque shooting trial to avoid Ramadan Britain's Prince William (L) and New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern (C) meet with members of the Muslim community at the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch on April 26, 2019. Prince William is on a two day visit to New Zealand to show his support for Christchurch after the resent mosque attacks that claimed 50 lives. (AFP/Tracey Nearmy / POOL)

New Zealand's High Court on Thursday altered next year's trial dates for the man accused of murdering 51 Muslim worshippers in Christchurch mosques to avoid the hearing clashing with the holy month of Ramadan.

Australian Brenton Tarrant's trial was due to begin on May 4, 2020, which next year will coincide with Ramadan in the Islamic calendar.

A statement released by the court said prosecutors were concerned the clash would pose a problem.

"A number of the witnesses to be called at trial are of the Islamic faith," it said.

It said a new June 2 start date for the trial had been confirmed after the defence raised no objection to the change.

The court is scheduled to hold a brief hearing on October 3, when it is expected to make a decision on a request by the defence team to move the trial away from Christchurch.

The South Island city was the scene of the worst mass shooting in modern New Zealand history on March 15, when Tarrant allegedly opened fire at two mosques while livestreaming his actions on social media.

Tarrant, a self-avowed white supremacist, has been charged with 51 counts of murder, 40 of attempted murder and engaging in a terrorist act.