TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Four reported dead, 2 wounded in mass shooting south of Los Angeles

Four reported dead, 2 wounded in mass shooting south of Los Angeles Police officers stand outside an office building were multiple people were killed in a shooting in Orange, California on March 31, 2021. Authorities said that four people, including a child, were killed in a shooting and two others had been transported to local hospitals. The suspect is in custody and was also taken to the hospital. When officers arrived, the shots were still being fired and the police found several victims, said the police, who indicated that the situation had resulted in an officer-involved shooting. (AFP/Patrick T. Fallon)
Alex Gallardo
Los Angeles, United States   ●   Thu, April 1, 2021 2021-04-01 12:01 37 559f5bc8c5224ad06a25184c0a33ad5d 2 World shooting,california,US,dead Free

Police in the Californian city of Orange reported a shooting on Wednesday with "multiple victims at the scene including fatalities," and local news media outlets said four people were killed before a suspect was arrested.

Few official details of the violence in the city south of Los Angeles were immediately available, but the Los Angeles City News Service (CNS) and television station KNBC-TV reported that in addition to the four dead, two people were wounded by gunfire.

Reporting the incident on its official Facebook page, the Orange Police Department said its officers arrived at about 5:30 p.m. local time "as shots were being fired and located multiple victims at the scene including fatalities."

The police statement said an "officer-involved shooting" had occurred and that the situation had since been "stabilized" with no further threat to the public.

KNBC-TV reported the shooting erupted at a business complex in Orange, a city about 30 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles. The television station and CNS reported that the dead included a child. Various news outlets also reported that the shooter was among those injured.

The violence marked the third deadly mass shooting in the United States over the past two weeks.

Eight people were shot to death by a gunman who went on a rampage at three day spas in the Atlanta area on March 16. And 10 people were killed on March 22 when a man opened fire at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado. The lone suspects in both those shootings were arrested.

Reacting on Twitter to Wednesday's events in Orange, California Governor Gavin Newsom called the latest bloodshed "horrifying and heartbreaking."